Spring is here! So it's time to start transitioning away from the heavier comfort foods of winter and into light, cleansing spring fare! This doesn't mean you have to eat salads three meals a day. Instead, focus on flavored steamed veggies, brothy soups, sprouts and lighter proteins like beans/legumes, lean meat and fish. These tacos are a wonderful option for a weeknight dinner. Maybe you can even eat them outside on the porch like we did last night!
Spring Chicken Tacos
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp raw, local honey
- sea salt
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 small or 1/2 large avocado, pitted and peeled
- handful of cilantro, chopped
- 1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 2 tsp seeded jalapeno, chopped
- 1 small clove of garlic, chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 12 oz boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- Coconut and cassava root tortillas (Siete brand - sold at Whole Foods)
- 2 cups napa cabbage, sliced
- Optional toppings: CoYo coconut yogurt as sour cream, hot sauce, cilantro, jalapenos
- Combine vinegar, honey and a pinch of salt in a small bowl. Stir in onion. Let stand at room temperature, stirring occasionally, for at least 30 min. (I did this step in advance and stored it in a mason jar in the fridge).
- Pulse peas, avocado, cilantro, lime juice, jalapeno, garlic, 1/2 tsp cumin and 1/4 tsp salt in a food processor until combined but not smooth. Transfer to a bowl, cover and refrigerate.
- Mix 1 Tbsp oil, chili powder, 1 tsp cumin and 1/2 tsp salt in a small bowl. Rub chicken all over with spice mixture. Heat 1 Tbsp oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Cook, turning, until cooked through, about 12 minutes. Let rest for 5 minutes on a cutting board, and shred.
- Drain onion.
- Fill tortillas with cabbage, pea guac, chicken, pickled onions and additional toppings.